Creating and Sending Your First Email
- Click Emails in the left pane.
- Click New in the menu at the top.
- On the next EMAILS/NEW EMAIL page:
- Click Select to choose the shown template and go to the next EDIT page where you can edit the email and its settings:
Select a template you want to use.
How to set email sender and other settings
Click SETTINGS and type in the needed values of the From / Reply / Sender and Subject fields.
Use valid From & Reply address so that recipients could potentially contact you. You can use different From & Reply addresses if really needed, but it is recommended that both would be from the same domain and related to the same company.
Note: You cannot send an email if the domain of its From address has not been confirmed. You can confirm and configure email domains on the Email tab of the Settings.
It is recommended to set the Sender name to your company or brand name as this makes it likely that more recipients will recognize the sender and will be interested to open the email.
Enter a short and clear Subject line. Consider personalizing subject!
Use the Language setting to specify the language for standard email parts, such as, "if you cannot read this email, click here", "unsubscribe". These will be translated automatically.
In the Address Register field you can specify the source of target contact data for this email.
In the Subject field you can refer to the recipient's person fields using the [] notation.
From the Unsubscribe List select an email list which you want the user to be removed from if the email recipient clicks the Unsubscribe link in this email.
Select Use Linked Images if you want to include only links to your images and do not embed the images in email.
How to organize chapters
Vine emails consist of chapters which are highlighted by a "dashed" line around them . You can add a chapter by simply dragging it from the list of chapters on the left to the desired place in your email.
You can remove a chapter by clicking the cross, and move a chapter by clicking the Up and Down arrows.
How to edit chapters
You can edit the content of each chapter, but the limits to what you can do to a chapter are set in the template that the email is using. Usually you can freely edit text, replace images, define links & buttons and remove chapter elements completely:
Click in the text you want to edit and use the editor buttons. Each button has a tooltip, but if you need more information about a specific command, you can find it here.
Click an image to select it:
- If you want to insert an image previously used with this email, then select it from the Select image list at the bottom.
- If you want to insert a new image from your disk, then click UPLOAD IMAGE to find and load it.
To set the address/action for a link or a button you should click it and then first select its type from the Link Type list and then enter a web address or select an object depending on what type you have chosen.
- Click TEST to verify the spam score of the email and send it to you.
- If the spam check is not passed then you need to click Cancel and click TEST SPAM RATING for a detailed spam analysis. (Normally, you should not experience spam issues with the demo email unless you use email accounts such as GMAIL or use different From and Reply addresses)
- Check the Inbox in your email application and verify how the email looks and if it has the correct Subject, Message and From fields. Check that all links work properly.
- Click OK button and the Next button will be enabled.
- Click SAVE to save the current email.
- In the dialog that will appear, select a folder or create a new one.
- Type a name of your email.
- Click SAVE.
How to send your first marketing email
- Click Emails in the left pane.
- On the Emails tabbed page click the email you want to send
- Click Send to go to selecting email recipients.
Select a group of recipients for your email or select Single Person if you want to send email to one person only. For a single person use the Single Person Search box to find and select the person you want to send your email to:
Click NEXT to go to the next page where you can send your email.
On the SEND EMAIL page first verify that the Sender name, the From & Reply addresses are correct. We recommend setting those to your name and email addresses, respectively.
- Before sending the e-mails you should specify when you want the emails to be sent. You can split sending emails into several batches instead of sending all your emails at once.
- Click +/- to add / remove a delivery batch.
- Optionally, you can specify a name and number of sent emails for each batch delivery. The name you give to a batch delivery will be used in the event name created for this delivery.
- Click Send to deliver the email to all members of the target group.
For each email campaign, it is extremely important to carefully analyze the results you get before starting a new campaign or proceeding to the next step of the existing one. It is important to compare the results you get to average results and see if you are doing fine or if you should think about ways to improve your emails.
Please note that it is quite common that those who start email marketing overestimate it results. They expect almost about half of recipients to somehow act on their emails. In reality however, the studies show that recipients tend to simply open less than 20% of great emails sent to well targeted groups. The general rule of thumb is that if your recipients open about 10-20% of sent emails and click links in about 10-20% of those, then you are right on track. If your statistics is much lower than that you should think about improving the email quality or/and building a better target group.
Where to find email statistics?
You can find the main statistics summary chart for all emails your company sent on the Statistics tab of the Emails page . (In addition, there are separate charts for customers on the Customers page, and for prospects on the Prospects page.)
The Summary chart visually shows how many people opened or clicked an email from you compared to how many emails you sent:
The chart contains the following data:
- Emails - how many emails sent using the Emails tool.
- Opens - how many emails were opened.
- Clicks - how many emails in which recipients clicked a link.
You can hover the mouse over any month to see the statistics for this month only. For example, on the image you can see how many email have been sent in February 2018, with about 13% of those opened, and about 1% clicked.
Below the chart there is a configurable statistics pane showing data for emails sent in a specified period and then below there is statistics for individual emails which you can further drill down to see all the available metrics.
For more information about email statistics and its many metrics please refer to the Email Statistics chapter.
Tips for better email results
You can find a lot of material on the Internet about how to create a good marketing email which will end up in target users' mailboxes and eventually gets opened and clicked. That is why we will not go into detail but will give you some tips you can start from and which we ourselves found working. These tips assume that the email has already passed all the SPAM filters and is visible in the recipient mailbox. (To make sure the email is not filtered out by spam filters you should keep the spam score as low as possible when testing your email.) Please also read our tips for email marketing and a blog post about how to succeed in email marketing.
- Subject line. This is what the user reads first and then decides if it is worth it to open this specific email. Personalizing email subjects with recipients first and last name usually works very well.
"From" should be recognizable name or company name.